Duterte rejected donations from Lucio Tan, Andrew Tan to avoid conflict of interest
President Rodrigo Duterte revealed that he turned down the campaign donations from Lucio Tan of Philippine Airlines and Fortune Tobacco and Andrew Tan of Megaworld and Resorts Worlds because he wanted to avoid conflict of interest situations.
In a speech during the 60th anniversary of the Social Security System (SSS) last Tuesday,Duterte said he did not mean to insult the two Bilyonaryos when he turned down their cash offers during last year’s campaign.
He said the two have tried to made up by taking out their checkbooks to contribute to Duterte’spet projects such as building drug rehabilitation centers and
“Hindi ako tumatanggap talaga. I do not mean to insult or?Kaya ?yang mga tao ngayon na malakiang contribution sa mga rehabilitation ganun and even willing to give money, ?yun ?yung mga sabiko ayaw ko,” said Duterte.
“And prominently is really Lucio Tan and Megaworld. Hindi ako tumanggap. I?ll just say that, you know, I was avoiding conflict of interest,” he added.
Duterte explained during the Philippine-Qatar Business Forum why he refused to take the money of Lucio Tan whom he accused of having P30 billion in unpaid taxes to the government.
?These rich people, they are my enemies. They can tell that I envy them, and it is true. You sons of whores! But you should pay your taxes. Why do I envy you? You keep on gaining riches and yet you don?t pay taxes,? Duterte said.
?These rich people should pay taxes. Like Lucio Tan, up to the last day of the campaign, he wanted to give me money. He kept on going after me, but I told him I don?t accept money. And so I won by six million votes,? Duterte added.
?In the fullness of God?s time, I am sure, as long as there is no corruption and I am able to get the taxes that these pigs refuse to pay? Lucio Tan has almost P30 billion. He has to pay. Everybody has to pay,? the President said.