Dennis Uy, Chavit Singson lead bidders for 3rd telco franchise
Duterte crony Dennis Uy, a consortium composed of former Ilocos Sur Governor Chavit Singson and a Davao-based internet company, and Norway?s Telenor led the five groups that purchased bid documents for the third telco slot Monday.
Singson and TierOne Communications chairman Jonathon Bentley-Stevens personally went to the National Telecommunications Commission to buy the bid documents, representing the first step in their goal to bring much needed world-class telecommunications services across the country.
“The TierOne consortium assures the Filipino people, specially those in areas outside the key cities of the country, that they will no longer be treated like second-class citizens when it comes to telco services – we will give everybody a better chance to enjoy the benefits that connectivity gives people in more advanced nations,” Singson said.
Stevens, a philanthropist and businessman who has owned telco-related companies in Australia, Malaysia, Philippines, and the US.
TierOne provides broadband internet to the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Officials of Uy?s Udenna Corp. were likewise seen the at the NTC.
?So far, we have five companies that bought bid documents,? NTC commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba told reporters.
Cordoba did not identify the two other potential bidders who requested not to be named ?We are very confident that we will fulfill the President?s directive on the entry of a new major player in the Philippine telecommunications market,? Cordoba said.
Cordoba said the selection process would be conducted in an open, fair and transparent manner. Opening of bids has been set for Nov.7.
The winning bidder will be chosen based on the highest committed level of service for over a period of five years.