Deal only for ‘small projects:’ Mislatel denies exclusive agreement with Chavit Singson-TierOne for 3rd telco
The Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company Inc. (Mislatel) has refuted the claim of former Ilocos Sur governor Luis “Chavit” Singson’s consortium, Sear Telecom, that it has an exclusive agreement with the latter for the selection of the third telecommunications player in the country.
In a statement Saturday, Mislatel said it has no contract with Singson’s TierOne.
“What Mislatel had was a terminated contract with a company called DigiPhil that was meant for small projects, like VSAT (very small aperture terminal). To be very clear, the contract with DigiPhil was not intended for the purpose of submitting a bid with the NTC (National Telecommunications Commission) for the NMP (new major player) for the telecommunications industry,” it said.
Mislatel claimed that its contract with DigiPhil, a subsidiary of TierOne, was terminated on October 5, 2018.
Documents obtained by Bilyonaryo showed Mislatel had given DigiPhil exclusive rights to use Mislatel’s frequencies. It also has the right of first refusal in case another party is interested to purchase its equity stakes.
Mislatel is among the companies that make up the Mislatel Consortium that Davao-based businessman Dennis Uy used to participate in the selection for the third telco. Other firms in the group are China Telecommunications Corporation, and the businessman’s Udenna Corporation and Chelsea Logistics Holdings Corporation.
In the October 5 letter addressed to DigiPhil, Mislatel’s law firm said its agreement with the company wasn’t for the purpose of bidding for the third telco. It said Digiphil should have clearly stated the NMP’s selection as its reason for partnering with Mislatel.
“To clarify that the term ‘other authorisations’ convers the bid for the Third Telco as well as the same being the purpose of the agreement between Mislatel and Digiphil constitutes a fraudulent misrepresentation on the part of Digiphil, for which reason Mislatel cannot accept and is thus compelled to rescind the agreement,” the company said.
Mislatel informed Digiphil in the letter that it will be refunding the P10 million payment made to the company because the contract had been terminated.
Sear Telecoms has filed a motion for reconsideration on Mislatel Consortium’s selection as the provisional third telco player.