Bilyonaryo ranking: Villar widens gap at the top; PAL, Jollibee tycoons lose ground
Former senator Manny Villar cemented his claim as the richest Filipino by jacking up his fortune in February 2019.
Based on Fortune’s real time ranking of the wealth of the world’s billionaires, Villar’s net worth soared by 11.3 percent to $5.9 billion as of end-February from $5.3 billion on January 31.
Villar widened his gap to $800 million with the second richest Filipino, John Gokongwei. The airline, shopping mall, and snack food magnate saw his value inch up by two percent to $5.1 billion in February.
In third place was ports and casino tycoon Ricky Razon with $4.7 billion, up 4.4 percent in February. Another big gainer was San Miguel big boss Danding Cojuangco with $1.5 billion, up seven percent from January.
There were two losers among the bilyonaryos in February: No. 4 Lucio Tan lost 6.8 percent to $4.1 billion while No. 5 Tony Tan Caktiong shed 7.3 percent to $3.8 billion. The number of bilyonaryos tracked by Forbes has shrank from 13 to 11 following the demise of Sy and Metrobank’s George Ty.
Here is the full list of dollar bilyonaryos and their month-on-month change:
1) Manny Villar – $5.9B up 11.3%
2) John Gokongwei – $5.1B up 2%
3) Ricky Razon – $4.7B up 4.4%
4) Lucio Tan – $4.1 B down 6.8%
5) Tony Tan Caktiong – $3.8B down 7.3%
6) Ramon S. Ang – $2.9B unchanged
7) Andrew Tan – $2.7B unchanged
8) Lucio Co – $1.8B unchanged
9) Danding Cojuangco – $1.5B up 7%
10) Robert Coyiuto – $1.4B unchanged
11) Bobby Ongpin – $1.1B unchanged