Mikee Romero’s net worth soars nearly P1B in 3 years as party-list rep for marginalized
1-Pacman (Patriotic Coalition of Marginalized Nationals) Rep. Michael Romero is the richest member of the House of Representatives for the third straight year.
Romero, who owns GlobalPort 9000 and Air Asia Philippines, reported a net worth of P7.858 billion in his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth as of December 2018.
This is 12 percent more than the P7 billion he declared in his SALN when he was elected three years ago. Romero is expected to serve a second term in office after 1-PACMAN won two seats in the 2019 mid-term polls.
Romero’s wealth is eight times bigger than the only other bilyonaryo in Batasan, Negros Occidental Rep. Albee Benitez, who declared a net worth of P1.017 billion in 2018.
Benitez is in his third and final term and did not run for any elective post in the recent polls. He is rumored to be in the running to head the soon-to-be-formed Department of Housing and Urban Development which President Rodrigo Duterte patterned after the Marcos-era Ministry of Human Settlements led by his late father, Jolly Benitez.
Here are the top 10 richest members of Congress based on what they declared in their 2018 SALNs:
1) 1-PACMAN Rep. Mikee Romero – P7.858 billion
2) Negros Occidental Rep. Albee Benitez – P1.017 billion
3) Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos – P923.8 million
4) Quezon City Rep. Sonny Belmonte – P864.8 million
5) Manila Teachers paty-list Rep. Virgilio Lacson – P793.9 million
6) Marikina Rep. Bayani Fernando – P748 million.
7) Davao del Norte Rep. Tony Boy Floirendo Jr. – P714.6 million
8) Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos-Recto – P555.3 million
9) Leyte Rep. Yedda Romualdez – P487.6 million
10) Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo – P479.5 million